Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How young is too young?

As a stay at home mom who is frequently overwhelmed by the various jobs constantly needing to be done around the house, I have wondered "how young is too young to require chores of the kids?" Lately I have tried to assign various chores to the kids and tried to make them age appropriate. Yesterday, I asked Olivia (4 1/2) to help vacuum the living room prior to playing a video game. I went downstairs to load some laundry and came upstairs to find this:

I was impressed both with Jane's "skills" and Olivia's attempt at manipulating her baby sister into doing her chores. I will confess that as soon as I whipped out the camera, Olivia was a bit more interested in doing the task, however the image of her vacuuming wasn't quite as endearing as little Jane.

2 comments:

Karin said...

How cute is that!? If only they would be so happy to help out when they are 9!

Megan, John and kids said...

I'm pretty impressed by Jane's skills too. At least now you know that you can manipulate Olivia into doing chores by pulling out the camera.